The New Patient Exam
Why Choose Drs. Don and Amy Vespa as your Largo Dentist:
We care about each new patient who comes to us as a special person. When you come to us for the first time, we will spend time talking about your concerns, preferences and oral health objectives. We will review your dental and medical history before performing a thorough oral examination.
Your initial new patient exam and the regular exams that follow will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs) to detect decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss—and also to help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening to check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat and other soft tissue, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Periodontal examination of the gum tissue and bone surrounding your teeth and examination of the other soft tissue of your mouth to check for signs and symptoms of disease. This will include an oral cancer screening.
- Examination of all tooth surfaces for decay, wear, and cracks.
- Examination of existing restorations (current fillings, crowns, etc.).
- Functional examination of the muscles, jaw joints, and how your teeth come together for your unique bite to check for TMD and occlusal problems.
Common New Patient Concerns
As your family dentist, even if you are a new patient, if you have an urgent need for treatment, for example, if you are in pain, we will take measures to treat the source of that pain and make you comfortable as quickly as possible.
If your examination and consultation time with the dentist reveals you will benefit from treatment, your dentist may need to schedule you for another appointment prior to beginning treatment. Treatment options will be discussed with you so you can make informed decisions. You can easily get started with our dentists by scheduling an appointment here.