Dental Implants at Pinellas Family Dental
Doctors Don and Amy Vespa place dental implants (artificial tooth roots) and restore missing teeth with custom prostheses (crowns, bridges and dentures). They use CAMLOG® dental implants made of pure titanium. This material is extremely stable and has a high level of biocompatibility. High precision and reliability are the hallmarks of all CAMLOG implants and components, providing predictable functional, esthetic and long-term stable results.
Dr. Paul Bivens, periodontist, works in our office on Fridays, and collaborates with Doctors Don and Amy Vespa on implant cases. With decades of experience in periodontal surgery, he is available to perform bone enhancement procedures such as ridge augmentation and sinus lifts. These procedures are sometimes required to create a healthy bone foundation that will ensure the success of dental implant therapy.
Why Choose Dental Implants to Replace Missing Teeth
Dental implants are today’s recommended standard of treatment for the replacement of missing teeth because the results are very strong, stable and durable so they last many years. They are not more expensive than traditional crown and bridge restoration, and they can be used where crown and bridge cannot be used.
- One or more missing teeth can be replaced without affecting adjacent teeth.
- Restoring missing teeth with dental implants resolves joint pain or bite problems caused by teeth shifting into missing tooth space.
- They provide the opportunity for having a “fixed” prosthetic tooth, bridge or denture that is immobile and does not have to be removed to be cleaned. This is more functionally stable and comfortable. So comfortable, you may come to think of your prosthetic teeth as your own natural ones.
- Dental implants restore fully functioning chewing, digestion, and speech. There is no slipping or discomfort. You will be able to eat all the foods you enjoy.
- Dental implants restore a confident smile and can restore or enhance facial features.
- Oftentimes over-dentures can be retained on four or more small dental implants.
What to Expect if You Choose Dental Implant Therapy
X-rays and impressions are taken of the jaw and teeth to determine bone, gum tissue, and spacing available for the implant(s). While the area is numb, the implant anchor(s) will be surgically placed into the bone and then time will be allowed for the bone to heal around the anchor(s). Depending on the type of implant, a second minor surgery may be required to place the post that will hold the artificial tooth on the anchor. With other implants the post and anchor are already attached and placed at the same time. The prosthetic tooth, teeth, bridge or over-denture are custom fabricated and fitted to the post portion of the anchors after the healing period. Once these artificial teeth are securely attached to the implant, they provide excellent stability and function like real teeth.
In some cases, the area of bone to receive the implant needs augmentation via a bone grafting procedure and/or
sinus augmentation. In some cases, the soft gum tissue at the site of the implant may need augmentation. Your dentist at Pinellas Family Dentistry will examine you in collaboration with Dr. Bivens, our periodontal specialist, and together they will plan your treatment for best health, function and esthetics.
At Pinellas Family Dental in Largo, Florida, we offer a complimentary (no fee) initial consultation. You will be fully informed about the treatment, options and costs, so you can make an informed decision that brings you happiness for years to come.